a) The purpose of this policy is to assure that the employees of ESCO Group are given the proper attire to help protect against arc flash burns. Flame Resistant (FR) clothing will be provided to each individual working on job sites. Note – Arc flash clothing is strictly for arc flash protection, not shock protection. Common sizes of FR clothing will be stocked at the ESCO Group Office. Clothing will be issued the first day of employment for ESCO Electric regular new hires. Some additional time may be needed for uncommon sizes. ESCO Electric short call employees will be required to wear the arc flash coveralls when needed and will not be issued any company clothing. ESCO Automation employees will be issued (1) one pair of HRC 2 coveralls.
b) Any employees who are laid off, terminated or leave our employment, shall return their “Flame Resistant Clothing” to our main office at 3450 3rd St. Marion, IA. (319-377-6655) or IBEW Local 405 1211 Wiley Blvd S.W. Cedar Rapids, IA. (319-396-8241) within two weeks after their last day of employment.
c) Union Employees: If the “Flame Resistant Clothing” is not returned within two weeks, a grievance will be filed against the individual per section 1.06 of the Local Union #405 Agreement and removed once all clothing is returned or paid for. The cost of the clothing will be $35/shirt and $55/jeans.
d) Additional clothing is available to be purchased by the employee if they wish to do so. The employee is responsible for wearing the proper clothing for the assigned task.
2. Policy Guidelines
a) Employees will be issued:
i. 5 pairs of FR pants
ii. 5 FR long sleeved shirts (button up or long sleeve T-shirt)
iii. Inventory of the employees clothing will be kept by the Safety Department and the clothing lease provider
b) Clothing Options:
i. Pants (combination of 5)
1. Tan dungaree pants
2. Blue jean utilities
ii. Shirts (5 HRC 2)
1. Light blue long sleeve button up shirts (HRC 2)
2. Navy blue long sleeve button up shirts (HRC 2)
3. Navy blue long sleeve T-shirts (HRC 2)
iii. Duration and Exchange of clothes:
1. Employees shall inspect clothing prior to every shift for holes and for any damage to clothing.
2. Damage clothing must be taken out of service immediately and reported to supervisor. Clothing will be replaced or repaired. The lease providing company will do all the repairs and replacements with equivalent (FR) materials.
3. Clothing will be replaced by company as needed. Employee must exchange worn out clothes for new clothing. New clothing will not be issued without receipt of worn out garment.
4. The employee must inspect their clothing for the issue date. No clothing shall be in service after 2 years from the issue date marked on the tag.
iv. Washing/Care Instructions
1. Machine wash and dry is acceptable.
2. DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER. This takes away the flash resistance value.
1. Field employees are required to wear arc flash clothing each work day.
2. Employees not wearing arc flash clothing will be issued a warning report and sent home without pay. The employee may return to work once they have changed into arc flash clothing.
vi. Annual Reprieve:
1. Employees will not be required to wear FR shirts from Memorial Day to Labor Day due to heat exposure, if they are not exposed to an arc flash hazard. Employees shall wear the FR pants and keep a FR shirt readily available.