Accounting and FinanceLocation:
Marion, IowaPosition Type:
The Controller is a senior level professional position within the accounting structure of ESCO Group. This position is best described as a management resource for a multi-discipline accounting team. This person is responsible for producing accurate and timely reporting of financial reports and key performance indicators to support management decision-making, cost control and continuous improvement efforts. The Controller must help ensure effective internal and external controls are in place and in compliance with GAAP, applicable federal, state, and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting. This position requires advanced knowledge of accounting principles and people management skills.
The Controller will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Manage a multi-discipline accounting team.
- Plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the operational quality and efficiency of the department.
- Conduct monthly one-on-one meetings with each accounting team member to discuss goals, performance, work load, issues, and ideas.
- Provide coaching, recognition, motivation and skill development to staff.
- Lead the development and execution of department goals and contribute to company goals.
- Ensure effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state, and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with members of management and external customers, identify their needs, and provide guidance on the financial implications of business activities.
- Maintain relationships with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations.
- Work closely with the accounting team to assist with moves, voids, and intercompany PO’s.
- Post miscellaneous cash receipts, daily journal entries, and banking transactions.
- Analyze, develop, and maintain client rate tables.
- Conduct monthly WIP meetings.
- Ensure an accurate and timely weekly, monthly, and year end accounting system close.
- Report monthly financial information, forecasts, trends, and budgets to the Chief Financial Officer, including an initial analysis of results.
- Assist in the development of annual and consolidated budgets that support operating plans.
- Manage all aspects of ERP suite including upgrades, testing, system training, and support to the accounting team.
- Utilize, support, and enhance ESCO’s standards and best practices.
- Understand and follow all safety, conduct, and policy requirements established by ESCO and clients.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned or deemed necessary by management.
- Leads with a high level of initiative and exemplifies company values.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Strategically manages resources to ensure the success of business goals.
- Develops meaningful relationships both inside the organization and within the community.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively manages change and provides vision.
- Work produced demonstrates excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Empowers others to perform at their highest levels.
- Provides superior coaching and feedback.
- Ability to effectively delegate and utilize the strengths of team members; providing opportunities for growth.
- Creates a culture of personal ownership.
- Excellent customer service and teamwork skills.
- Superior supervisory skills.
- Ability to effectively delegate and utilize the strengths of team members; providing opportunities for growth of the account, team members, and self.
To be considered, candidates should have:
- Completion of Master’s degree program in accounting, finance, or related discipline from an accredited college or university and nine years or more of related work or industry experience.
- Other equivalent education and experience combinations will be considered with solid evidence of success.
- Proven experience as a senior business leader or other managerial position including demonstrable experience in developing strategic and business plans, managing personnel, forecasting and financial planning, and profit and loss responsibility.
- Experience in accounting, including project accounting, purchase orders and purchase order tracking, payroll, operational accounting, reconcilement, general ledger, GAAP, and applicable federal, state, and local regulatory laws.
- Demonstrated to be highly proficient with computer technologies including but not limited to, Windows Operating Systems, and the use of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant
- Experience mentoring or managing people.
- Experience using Microsoft Dynamics SL, Sage 300 CRE, Viewpoint Spectrum, or other accounting software.
- Experience in an ESOP culture.
- Experience in software testing and implementation.
ESCO Group provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, ESCO Group complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
ESCO Group expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ESCO Group’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply to all of our job openings.